At Land Based Training Limited (“we, “us”, “our”) we care about your privacy, and want to be transparent about what we do with your personal information.
This Privacy Statement describes in detail how we collect, use, store, and disclose your personal information and explains your rights under the Privacy Act 2020. We may update our Privacy Statement from time to time, and will notify you if we do so.
If you would like to talk to us about your privacy please contact Academic Compliance by emailing email@example.com.
By signing the Application for Enrolment or other forms on this website, you acknowledge that Land Based Training Limited will collect, use and disclose personal information about yourself in accordance with the sections specified below and the Privacy Act 2020. You also authorise any agency holding the source of information you have provided on this form to release that information to the Provider on request.
3. Personal Information Collected
3.1. Information you give the Provider – personal information is collected when you enquire and enrol, complete online forms, participate in surveys (unless you choose to remain anonymous), and through interaction with the Providers services during the period of enrolment.
3.2. Information the Provider collects automatically – the Polytechnic automatically gathers information about your learning activities during your period of enrolment, this may include:
- Course Completion
- Qualification Completion
- Interactions with the Providers online systems, such as Canvas, including your engagement with online content, online assessment activities and online forums.
3.3. The Provider automatically collects technical information and uses “cookies” when you browse our external website.
Browser or ‘web’ cookies are small text files that are sent by a website and stored on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies are generally used to improve your experience of a website and to track site usage.
If you do not wish to receive cookies, you can set your browser so that your computer does not accept them although you may experience a loss of functionality as a result. We may also log IP addresses (the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track user movements, and gather broad demographic information.
We may also collect anonymous data (which is not personal information) relating to your activity on our websites (including IP addresses) via cookies. We generally use this information to report statistics, analyse trends, administer our services, diagnose problems and target and improve the quality of our products and services. To the extent this information constitutes personal information we treat it in accordance with our obligations under this Privacy Statement.
3.4. Information from third parties – the Provider may receive information about you from the following third parties:
- New Zealand Qualification Authority
- Immigration New Zealand
- Agencies who support students through scholarships
- Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ) where your study is funded by WINZ
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade where your study is funded by the Ministry
- Your employer where you have enrolled at the Provider under a contract the Provider has with your employer whereby the employer pays or has agreed to pay the student’s fees, or if no fees are payable, where the employer supports your study
- Other education institutions where:
- a course is co-taught in association with the Polytechnic
- records are transferred from another institution.
4. Purpose for which Personal Information is Collected
Land Based Training collects personal information to carry out our purposes and functions as an education provider under the Education Act 1989, including Section 181(a) “to ensure that the institution attains the highest standards of excellence in education, training, and research”.
Without affecting the generality of the above statement, your personal information that is collected by the Provider may be used by the Provider in the following ways:
4.1. To comply with the requirements of:
- The Ministry of Education (student statistical returns)
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority (record of achievement registration and unit standard outcomes)
- Tertiary Education Commission (funding returns)
- Industry Training Organisations (funding and academic outcomes)
- Ministry of Social Development (confirmation of enrolment and academic outcomes)
- Inland Revenue Department (student loan interest rebate)
- Immigration New Zealand (if you are not a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident)
- Agencies who support particular students through scholarships and prizes, payment of fees or other awards (if you are a recipient of one of these awards)
4.2. For activities as an education provider:
- Selecting students for qualifications
- Providing you with information on the Providers courses and programmes
- Managing internal administrative processes
- Providing tuition advice and support
- Providing academic advice and support
- Putting you in contact with other students studying your course(s) if you specifically authorise this
- Administering your programme of study such as setting up online profiles, examinations and assessments, placements and/or workshops.
- Providing information to textbook/learning resource suppliers to assist you to purchase textbooks, learning resources, etc.
- Publishing the list of graduands in the programme for graduation ceremonies
- Managing queries and complaints
- Internal reporting
- Maintaining order and discipline
4.3. For the purpose of Learning Analytics – defined as the collection and analysis of information generated during the learning process in order to improve the quality of both learning and educational practice. For the purpose of learning analytics the Provider may carry out profiling, analytics or tracking (including by automated means) of your personal information, including your interactions with the Providers online learning platforms:
- To improve the quality of our services
- To tailor our support services and pastoral care to your needs
- To support your learning and academic achievement
- To personalise our communications with you
- To monitor your attendance and engagement for the use of Provider-Initiated Withdrawals as outlined in the Student Handbook.
4.4. For Academic Reporting and Research – the Provider may use information generated about you for the purposes of Academic reporting and research, conditional on compliance with the Privacy Act 2020, and approval by a recognised ethics committee.
4.5. For Communications and Marketing – the Provider will use your information to communicate with you and carry out marketing activities. You can unsubscribe from marketing communications through a link provided in marketing emails. The Provider will not release your information to other organisations for marketing purposes.
5. Disclosure of Personal Information Collected
5.1. Personal information may be disclosed to Land Based Training staff, adjunct staff, and contractors when such disclosure is for the purposes for which that personal information was collected as outlined in this statement, or is directly related to the purposes in connection with which the information was obtained.
5.2. Personal information about you may be supplied to the following agencies in the circumstances detailed below:
- Other education institutions, providers, assessors, and relevant licensing/registration bodies
- where you are enrolled in a course taught at another institution in association with the Provider
- where you are transferring your records to that other institution or applying to enrol in a course taught at that institution
- where you are enrolled in a course leading to a qualification awarded by another body or institution
- where you have been enrolled at the Provider but are receiving student support at another institution or organisation in association with the Provider
- where you have enrolled at the Provider pursuant to a contract the Provider has with any Industry Training Organisation
- where you have enrolled at the Provider pursuant to a contract the Polytechnic has with any secondary school
- where you have been enrolled by the Provider pursuant to a contract the Polytechnic has with the Department of Corrections
- Your employer – where you have enrolled at the Provider under a contract the Provider has with your employer whereby your employer pays or has agreed to pay your fees, or if no fees are payable, the employer supports your study
- Department of Work and Income (DWI) – where your study is being funded by DWI
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade – where your study is funded by the Ministry
- Ministry of Education and the Teaching Council of New Zealand – where your study is funded by the Ministry of Education.
5.3. The Provider may be required by law to provide some personal information to other Government agencies or other persons upon request (for example, New Zealand Police) where permitted to do so under the Privacy Act 2020.
6. Storage of Personal Information Gathered
6.1. Land Based Training will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your information is secure.
6.2. Your personal information may be transferred and held by service providers in New Zealand and overseas in connection with the purposes for which your personal information was obtained.
6.3. The Provider will not transfer your information to an overseas service provider unless we are satisfied that the service provider is obliged to protect your information in ways that are comparable to the protection afforded by the New Zealand privacy law.
7. Retention of Personal Information
7.1. Land Based Training is required under the Education Act 1989 to retain some forms of personal information indefinitely.
7.2. Where not required under the Education Act 1989, the Provider will not retain personal information for longer than required for the purposes in which it was collected and may lawfully be used, as determined by us, after which period the personal information will be securely disposed of.
8. Your Rights under the Privacy Act 2020
8.1. You have the right to access and correct/annotate all personal information held about you. Most personal information can be accessed by contacting the Land Based Training Team. If you have any queries regarding access or correction of your personal information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8.2. If you have any queries about the use of your personal information or feel your privacy has been breached you have the right to lodge a complaint. To do so contact Academic Compliance by emailing email@example.com.
The Privacy Act came into force on 30 June 2020 with the stated aim of protecting the privacy of natural persons. It requires the organisation to collect, hold, handle, use, and disclose personal information in accordance with the twelve Information Privacy Principles in the Act. See privacy.org.nz for further details.
Last Updated: 13 May 2021